Saturday, September 8, 2012

Cute and Easy - A Burlap Fall Wreath!


Today I am sharing with you a quick, easy project that you can whip up in less than an hour (or two at the most!)  I am sure like me, you are ready to begin decorating for fall.  I adore autumn - it is my very favorite season of the year - although I have to tell you in Alabama, fall comes pretty late!  It is still really hot here! And it will be for quite a while! But, that doesn't stop us from decorating for the season!!  It is time to bring out the fall decorations and cheer on our favorite college football team ~ another favorite fall pasttime!

To make this fall wreath you will need the following:  a straw wreath, burlap, several coordinating fabrics, a jar lid (or anything you have on hand to trace the perfect circles), sharp scissors (I had to buy a new pair because my boys constantly use my scissors to cut anything you can imagine ~ really, even shrubs!!), an assortment of straight pens, and grosgrain ribbon.


This will truly be the easiest project you do this fall!  Simply begin tracing and cutting circles out of the burlap and the three additional fabrics.  Get ready, you need a lot of circles!  Use  the larger circle for the burlap and the smaller circle for the colorful fabrics.  I just loved the cheerful fall colors in these fabrics that I found at Hobby Lobby.  I purchased 1 1/2 yards of the burlap and 1/3 of each of the others.  This is more than enough for one wreath - in fact, it may be enough to make another one.  I may be decorating my office door at work!




After you have cut out a bunch of circles, begin randomly pinning them to the wreath form -layering the colorful fabric on top of the burlap while alternating the patterns.  I found straight pins with colorful tops that matched the material.  This adds a little interest. :-).


Hmm... I just realized that I didn't take any pictures while I was actually making the wreath. I always forget that!  Please tell me you can follow my directions with out the aid of pictures.  :-)

After you have finished, simply loop a length of a coordinating grosgrain ribbon through and tie it at the top.  I actually bought two additional grosgrain patterns thinking that I would layer one on top of the solid brown, but decided to use just the chocolate brown ribbon by itself.  The other was really cute, but I decided it might be too "fussy".  When in doubt, keep it simple!

So... there you have it!  A simple, easy craft project that can be completed in a few hours and under $20.00.  That is my kind of project!!  It is perfect for our back door that leads to our screened porch. Don't you agree, back door friends are best? 



Happy fall decorating!!

This week I am happy to be joining the following parties:

Debbie-Doos

Lisa

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, this is so cute! I love the patterns that you've chosen. I can't wait to get going on fall decor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa..it is so nice to see you at my party. You know I love this wreath, it is simply adorable and perfect for Fall. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute, fun and welcoming Fall wreath !! So very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa