Our family decorated our Christmas tree last evening. It was such a joy to complete this special ritual together as the Christmas music played softly in the background. As I “oohed and ahhed” as each ornament was opened, I was thankful for the little pleasures that make life so enjoyable. It seems like such a tiny thing, but opening tissue to reveal a beautiful cherished ornament or an ornament that I made in church when I seven gave me such a joy! Yes, that little ornament made from a portion of a Christmas card backed with felt and lined with ric-rac brought such a smile to my face!
It made me think of other simple pleasures that make me happy each day! A few that crossed my mind are:
- Hearing my son, Seth, giggle uncontrollably and exclaim “You’re the man” when my husband tickles him mercilessly
- Listening to Seth sing – especially silly songs like “I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas”
- Fresh flowers
- Sharing a “belly laugh” with good friends
- Hot, fresh cornbread slathered with butter
- Licking the top of can of Eagle Brand Condensed Milk – this has to be one of the best tasting things in the entire world!
- Hearing my husband, Jon, call me “his Gracie” – my nickname because unfortunately I am slightly clumsy!
- Laying out by the pool on a hot summer day while listening to classic rock
- Hot chocolate piled high with marshmallows on the first chilly day of the year
- Memories of my precious mother
- My cowboy boots
- Holding babies!
- Cuddling on the couch with my furry babies, Bentley and Clarabel
- Listening to my husband sing – he has an amazing voice!!
- The feel of fresh clean sheets on a newly made bed
- Blue jeans that fit perfectly
- The smell of cinnamon
- Small town America!
- The long-horn cattle that I pass each day on my way to work!
- Balancing my checkbook perfectly on the first try (alas, this rarely happens!)
- Chilling out on Saturday morning with a fresh pot of coffee and new magazines
- The Andy Griffith Show
- Enjoying “sister time” with Anita
- Seeing the look of joy on Seth’s face when he sees what Santa brought him on Christmas morning.
What little blessings bring you joy? I hope during this hectic holiday season you take time to enjoy the simple everyday pleasures of life!
Updated: November 21, 2001 to link to the following parties:
Inspiration Fridays @ http://www.atthepicketfence.com/
(When I originally wrote this post I was just beginning to blog and
had NO idea how to link to a party!)