Monday, January 24, 2011

Mom 's Chess Pie

My mother, Janell, on her wedding day.   

Today I am sharing my mom's Chess Pie recipe.  I mentioned Chess Pie in one of my very first posts and since that time I have had several friends ask for her recipe.  Several friends mentioned that they had never heard of Chess Pie, while other friends said it was a family tradition in their family as well. 

First and foremost I should tell you that my mom was an incredible cook!  I am telling you she was amazing!  She was not a trained chef, but I don't think I ever tasted anything that she made that wasn't mouth-watering! I remember once while I was in college, several of my sorority sisters stayed at our house during the weekend of the Ole Miss/State game.  I was so proud when one of the girls remarked that she had NEVER had food as good as my mom's!! I remember later that she made a really funny comment about Mom making the best mashed potatoes she had ever had - EVER! 

Sometime I will share with you more about my sweet mother!  In addition to being a wonderful cook, she was an accomplished seammstress, quilter, "cross-stitcher", cake decorator and more.  But for now, I will just share her yummy recipe for Chess Pie.  Be prepared - it is rich and decadent! 

Chess Pie

3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 TBSP corn meal
1  TBSP flour
1 tsp vanilla


Mix together and pour in an unbaked deep dish pie shell.  Sprinkle top with nutmeg. (This is crucial.)  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins to one hour.  Check at 50 minutes to determine if pie is "firm". 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good and easy and I actually have all those ingrediants on hand. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chess pie, but have never tried to make it before! I just may give this a try!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa