Thursday, September 8, 2016

To Blog or Not to Blog?



As you can probably see since it has been a very long time since my last post, I am struggling with blogging.  I thought when I retired I would have all this free time and I would blog like crazy.  That has not been the case.... at all!  I want to blog, but it seems like everything possible gets in the way. I've wondered why I can't seem to establish a good blogging schedule. What seems to be the problem? I began thinking about when I first started this blog (actually, even before that - back to when I first discovered blogs) and what I wanted to accomplish.  When I began I thought it would be a good creative outlet - something I could do that would be enjoyable for me.  I enjoy writing - not books or articles - just writing in general.  I also have always enjoyed anything that has to do with our home.  I love houses (Don't you just love it when people have their blinds or curtains open at night and you get a glimpse inside?), antiques, decorating, and cooking.  I truly thought it would be a perfect hobby....

And for a time, it was.  I look back over my early posts and I love them.  I wrote about memories, things that make a home a HOME, and just life.  But.... I remember when a prominent blogger asked me to link to her "party". I wasn't entirely sure how to even link to a party.  I soon figured it out.  I also figured out there are so many BIG TIME bloggers out there.  I don't know what happened, but I soon began to feel like my posts, my blog, weren't good enough because I didn't have 5,000 plus followers - nor was I featured in any blogs or * gasp * a magazine! I remember thinking, "Well I thought this would be fun, but now I feel like the girl who never made cheerleader - like I didn't measure up!"  I hate to admit it, but it took some of the joy out of the whole thing.  I began to feel like I had to constantly have projects so I would have something new and interesting to blog about.  Since we are being honest, I don't have the funds to redo a room every few months. My husband even commented that I was striving to create things just for the blog. 

Nevertheless, I went on blogging sporadically.  My love for my home, recipes, decorating, and small projects never changed but I wasn't sure they were up to par.  I realize these are my own insecurities, but, it is what it is.  I would go longer and longer between posts. My sister would say, "Would you PLEASE update your blog?"  I revamped the blog about two years ago and I love the new layout.  I added the link to my Instagram... and then BAM! Insecurity strikes again!!  I would see people who have blogs and Instagram accounts (and sometimes both) making comments like, "I just started this account two months ago and I am now at 50,000 followers."  What??  

So.... what does this have to do with anything?  I talked to my "real-life" blogging friend, Lynda, recently.  We were discussing our blogs  and she encouraged me to start blogging again. No pressure, no expectations, just blog!  So I am -  for me!  Because I enjoy it - for no other reason.  I am taking it back to what it was in the beginning - a creative outlet.  For those who have a gazillion (is that a word??) followers, I think that is awesome!! You rock!!!  But, I am content (finally!) to do my own thing and share whenever and whatever!!  You may read about our fur babies (Ollie and Clarabel) or what Seth is up to in sports, our holiday traditions, or maybe even a project or too.  It will be about our life, which is full and "real".  We are just a normal family - making it day by day by God's grace!!  And that, my friends, is enough! 

4 comments:

  1. Well, I for one am so glad you made it back. I have you in my blogroll and just noticed you had posted. I missed your life!!! :)
    Blogging as it was when we all fell in love with it has definitely changed. I could never in a million years keep up with all that today. I long for blogging like it was years ago, so I have kept it up in spite of feeling all those things you have stated so perfectly.
    I just love decorating and all things HOME.
    I too have thought about quitting many times, AND I thought when I retired I would have lots of time too. HA HA...that is a joke.
    Glad you decided to post and be yourself. That is enough! I will keep trying as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I can identify with every word you wrote. I'm glad you decided to keep on blogging. My last post was in April. I haven't posted for many reasons but one big one is my home is a bit chaotic right now and not really picture worthy. But, I will be back one day soon as well because I enjoy writing as well. Here's to future posting! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    Good to see you with this post today. I think all of us that blog for a creative outlet are feeling alot of what you spoke about today. Many of the blogs are beginning to be about advertising and nothing too creative or fun in the posts. Forced posts to keep up with the advertising agreements seem to be the atmosphere of blogging. I started out my blog for a creative outlet too. To share my decor crazy with whoever gets it. That has been enjoyable for me. I have meet so many friends through this crazy land called blogging so I have loved it so much. I think like everything else in life things change sometimes for the good sometimes not so much. I have had your same thought process and then decided just recently to blog when I have something fun to share and enjoy the blogs that I love that are not bogged down with advertising when I can. I hope more of us go back to blogging for the fun and creativity and less about advertising. I will look forward to seeing you post every once in awhile. Have a great Friday and wonderful week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa