Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pumpkins, and Buttons, and Hot Glue - Oh, My!

I have really gotten into Halloween this year which is a little unusual for me.  It was the Halloween issue of BH&G that did it - it was filled with the cutest, easiest ideas!!! 
This weekend I decided to make the Button Pumpkin.  It was a simple and easy project that can be made fairly quickly. 

I didn't have a button collection (apparently lots of people keep spare buttons) so I had to purchase buttons or try to beg them from my friends.  I found a "bag -o-buttons" at Hobby Lobby for less than $5.00 and a nice customer in front of me had an extra coupon that she shared with me!  Yes!  I decided to use a plastic pumpkin because I wanted it to last for more than one year -  they were on sale at Michaels.  I already had ribbon and a hot glue gun so I was set.

I decided to make the large "BOO" pumpkin and then a smaller creamy white one with cream butons I "monogrammed" with our last initial - M.  I think they turned out great - so cute!  I will tell you though that I was not pleased with the first one that I made.... the word was too big or the pumpkin (medium sized) was too small.  Either way, I was not thrilled so I waited overnight and pulled all of the buttons off, purchased a larger pumpkin (thank goodness they were on sale) and tried again! 

This is the inspiration :-)

I used inexpensive plastic pumkins - I ended up using a larger orange one than this -
my first try was a flop! 

First step - sorting the buttons and laying out the word BOO.  Note - my first try was too big.

This is my second try - Much better!! I tried it here first  on the table in the foyer

I also made a small cream colored pumpkin with a button "M".

 
I thought the tone on tone was so sweet and simple. 

One more look - this cabinet is built in on either side of the fireplace.

Hmmm - I wasn't sure which spot was best -  in the foyer? or on the console table in front of the window? 

Which place is best?  Decisions, decisions.....

Ok - I moved it back to the black table in the foyer...I may move it around until Halloween!! :-)

This week I am linking to the following parties:





Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party @ http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/



Home Sweet Home Party at http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday @ www.atthepicketfence.com

Freshman Fridays @ www.homesavvyatoz.com

Tuesday's Treasures Fall Party @ http://www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com


Come and join the fun!! 

18 comments:

  1. Really cute and easy! My kind of project! Lorie @ Reading Confetti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, these are super adorable. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Taylor
    Domestic8d

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! You did a fabulous job. thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your BOO pumpkin turned out great! I love it.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you did both - really like the white pumpkins with the new button pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the "Boo" pumpkin...you did a great job. Your home is certainly looking festive... thanks for inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I have so many buttons and totally want to do this! Yours looks super cute! Thanks for posting this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, I love it! I really like the black buttons and the cream on cream is very tasteful. Sorry I haven't been around much ~ things have been kinda crazy here.

    Thanks so much for sharing! I hope you're having a wonderful week.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa,
    Really cute pumpkin. I am your newest follower. Please stop by and visit when you have time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa! I am a new follower. Your pumpkin is super cute. After writing this comment I will be digging around my craft room looking for new things to glue to pumpkins. Ha ha. Thanks for sharing! I would love for you to share your post at my Freshmen Friday linky party for newer bloggers at:

    http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/guest-post/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa, this turned out so beautifully..I would LOVE for you to link it at the fall crawl blog party today pweease :)) TY http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-crawl-day-12-blog-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your button pumpkins they turned out so cute! I just found your blog and am now your newest follower. Come by and check me out sometime!


    Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun idea! I am visiting from Freshman Friday and am your newest follower! :)

    Emily

    www.mirrorsmetaphorsandkaleidoscopes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Pumkins! Thank-you for sharing,now I must run ti Micheals! LOL!
    :)
    Gaylene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adding a liitle bling to your pumpkins is such a cute idea and so stylish this year! Very cute

    I'm delighted you linked to Potpourri Friday. You are appreciated and I hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your button pumpkin is so cute! Great job wit it! Thank you for linking it to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. love it! found you via MUSOS and
    hope you'll enter my giveaway and decide to follow:

    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-stencil-splendor-giveaway.html

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a cute idea! I need a craft for all the buttons I've accumulated over the years! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa