Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Big Sister's Birthday Beach Bash!



There's a special kind of freedom sisters enjoy. Freedom to share innermost thoughts, to ask a favor, to show their true feelings. The freedom to simply be themselves. Unknown


If you have read my blog you may know that I have a big sister named Anita.  We call her Nini now. (When we became mothers and aunts our names were changed from Anita and Lisa to Nini and Sissy.)  She is not only my big sister by 13 months, and my only sibling, she is my life long best friend!!  I have been so blessed to have her in my life!  We have always been extremely close!  God bless her, she let me tag along with her group of friends for basically our entire childhood.  She is an amazing mother, daughter, and a compassionate pediatric oncology nurse to boot! Last week she turned 50!  All through life I have been slightly amazed when she reaches a milestone before me.  (Think: Holy Cow, one of us is turning 30!  How did this happen??) When she started driving, I knew I was next.  When she graduated from high school, I was next.....  I remember thinking she was so old and wise and mature when she started college!  I didn't realize we were both still babies. I followed her in so many things and in some areas I followed my own path.  I have always looked up to her though.  She is my rock!  She is the calm sister - we balance each other out completely.  

So... back to turning 50.  Nini has said for the last few years that she wanted to be on the beach for her birthday - Destin, Florida to be specific.  We have been going for many years to visit the beautiful beaches of the Emerald Coast.  She invited Seth and me to join her on her special trip (along with my niece and nephew).  Seth and I were thrilled to get away and enjoy time at the beach with a few of our very favorite people on the face of the earth!!!  Here are a few pictures of our trip.  


Seth the mermaid, courtesy of Spencer and Alex :-)

Seth trying out the boogie board! 

There's not much better than lying on the beach with your toes in the sand! 

The kids - they are growing up so fast! 
Destin Harbor Walk 

Nini and Paige

Another pic of the sisters :-)  We are blessed! 

For there is no friend like a sister, in calm or stormy weather, to cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands. Christina G. Rossetti 

Thanks so much for visiting Buttercup Bliss! 
Lisa

3 comments:

  1. We are headed to Destin tomorrow! Happy belated birthday to your sister and it looks like a great way to enjoy her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a wonderful time! (I love Destin!) That's a great picture of you guys together. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bedroom looks so comfy, but I LOVE Seth as a mermaid. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa