Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Carols



Hi!  I don't know about you, but I have been listening to Christmas music for about three weeks.  I haven't started decorating my house, but in my heart, it is Christmas!!!  I adore Christmas songs - mainly the classic songs from Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Burl Ives, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, and Dean Martin! Seth and I merrily sing along the entire way to school and work each day.  Seth has been introduced to The Carpenters, Kenny Loggins, Brenda Lee and many more! We also love songs such as "The Grinch", "I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas" and "Dominic The Donkey".  This one is sure to crack you up!! Seth has also discovered the Jackson Five - They sing his favorite version of "I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus".  

Christmas music brings back so many wonderful memories.  Gene Autry reminds me of the Christmas parade in my hometown in Mississippi.  After the parade, Santa would ride through the neighborhoods and threw candy to children with Gene Autry playing through a loud speaker.  


Recently while riding home from school, Seth and I heard a Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass Christmas song.  I exclaimed to Seth, "Papa LOVES Herb Albert!".  We decided to call my dad right then and tell him what we were listening to thanks to the Holly station.  Sure enough, when we called Papa, he finished my sentence when I started saying "We are listening to Herb...."  He said he and his coffee drinking buddies had been talking about HA and The Tijuana Brass that very day!!  What a hoot!

Certain songs remind me of special friends.  All the classic singers remind me of my dear friend from college, Bo.  She knew every song ever sung by Frank Sinatra.  "Christmas Guest", a fabulous country classic by Grandpa Jones reminds me of my precious friend, Wanda, who worked with me when I was teaching.  We would get so excited each year when we heard it for the first time on the radio!   It is the sweetest song ever! 


It is just not Christmas until you've heard Burl Ives singing "Frosty the Snowman"! 

All of the songs from the Rudolph movie remind me of the year my friend Laurie and I organized a Singing Christmas Tree with our second grade classes. We worked for weeks learning approximately 12 songs including "Jingle, Jingle, Jingle" and "We're A Couple of Misfits".  Our children were so precious we decided to overlook the fact that our Singing Christmas Tree looked more like a Singing Christmas Shrub!  

I suppose my all time favorite Christmas carol is "Oh, Holy Night".  With this song, it really doesn't matter who sings it - it always gives me chills.  Celine Dion's version will bring tears to your eyes.  What a beautiful reminder of what Christmas is truly about!  

What are your favorite Christmas carols?  Which artists and songs make the holidays special for you?

As always, thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss!  

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! One of my favorite contemporary Christmas songs is Faith Hill's "A Baby Changes Everything". It is hauntingly beautiful and reminds us that this one child born so many years ago truly can change everything for all who believe. An old time favorite is Bing Crosby's "White Christmas". Can't beat that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet!!! Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss AND for introducing us to our new favorite Christmas movie! :-)

      Delete
  2. Lisa, this post was precious. I absolutely love Christmas songs and I do not care how early we begin hearing them. I would love hearing them all the time. I also love Frosty the Snowman as sung by Burl Ives and of course White Christmas is at the top of my list. I love hearing all the Christmas carols at church and Away in the Manger is so sweet and precious. I hope you and your family have had a perfectly wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day to my other sister! I am sharing vintage Valentine's Day cards at Still Woods Farmhouse. Hope you can stop by for a visit! You might get a kick out of a few.
    Love You!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa