Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Ready, Set, COOK!


It's official!  I am turning into my mother! I have been working on my Thanksgiving dinner menu for two weeks!  I made my grocery list and went shopping - and went shopping again!  I always manage to think of another item or two that did not make it onto the original list.  Doesn't that drive you nuts?  My mom always kept an ever  changing list going during the holidays as she prepared menus, shopping lists, things to do, etc. She always made holidays so special! 

I began cooking this afternoon in anticipation of my family coming to Mobile for Thanksgiving.  I am so excited!!  I can't wait to get up in the morning and watch the Macy's parade while sipping coffee and cooking up a storm!  This is one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions that I loved sharing with my mother.  In fact, I wrote about Thanksgiving traditions in one of my very first blog posts ever.  You can read it here


I have quite a few cookbooks, but most of my favorite menu items come from my trusty three ring binder that is chock full of yummy tried and true recipes - this binder has been on my kitchen counter all week! 

So far, I have made sausage balls for Jon - that is his favorite holiday snack.  I also made a homemade carrot cake, a first for me!  The corn bread is ready and waiting to be made into dressing in the morning.  I also picked up the smoked turkey breast today.  The ham will be put in the oven bright and early in the morning (making a ham is another first for me! I will be using my friend Lynda's special homemade glaze.)  Now I need to go to bed early because I will be up early making the ham, dressing, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, cream style corn, bacon wrapped asparagus bundles and especially for Paige and Spencer, Lesueur English peas and Sister Shubert rolls.  In addition to the carrot cake, we will have homemade chocolate pie (my sister's speciality)!  Have I forgotten anything?  Believe it or not, this is a pared down menu because there will be just seven of us tomorrow.  Crazy, I know!  I also left off Spinach Madeline this year in favor of a new recipe I am trying:  Bacon wrapped asparagus bundles. It sounded so yummy I just had to give it a try! What are the "must haves" for your family?

I have also set the table, complete with my beautiful Gorham Buttercup silver for which this blog is named.  I polished it yesterday and it made me so happy to see it on my table!  Here is a quick look:










Spode Woodland Turkey salad plates are just perfect for Thanksgiving. They go perfectly with my Wedgewood Strawberry and Vine.  I am so glad I chose these classic white dishes when Jon and I got married.  They will never go out of style and look perfect when paired with seasonal salad plates. 

See you soon!! But first, I have to put my apron on and get back to cooking!! 


This week I am joining the following parties:


Come join in the fun!
Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I spent hours cooking and baking today too! Tried a new pumpkin custard dessert made in individual ramekins. I've never made bacon wrapped asparagus bundles, but I've made bacon wrapped green bean bundles several times and they are always a hit! Enjoy your day with family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table is beautiful, it is time to go to bed, and now you have made me hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa