Monday, May 9, 2011

Easy but Fabulous Key Lime Pie!


Yesterday I made Key Lime Pie for dessert when my  husband cooked me dinner for Mother's Day.  I learned to make it a few years ago.  It is so easy and delicious I thought I would share the recipe with you. 

I always thought Key Lime Pie was hard to make - actually I never ate Key Lime Pie until around 5 years ago.  Then I was hooked!  I thought it was so rich and delicious that it had to be hard to make.  One day about three years ago I mentioned to my friend Jill and her mom that I sure wished I knew how to make it because I wanted to serve it as the finishing touch to my Easter menu.  Jill's mom laughed and said it was just about the easiest pie ever!!  She wasn't kidding!  There are just three ingredients!!!  So, here it is - Enjoy!!!

Key Lime Pie

2 cans of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 egg yolks
1/2  to 2/3 cup Key lime juice 

(You can use the juice of fresh Key limes or you can do what I do.... I cheat and use this fabulous little item called Nellie and Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice.)


Mix these items together until nice and creamy in your mixer.  Pour into a graham cracker crust.  (Again, I am into things being simple, so I buy this pre-made.)

Bake at 350 degrees for about 13 minutes. 

(Jill's mom said this step wasn't necessary because the lime juice "cooked" the egg yolks.  Now I wasn't too sure about this so I searched around for other recipes and decided I would bake my pie.  I played around with it for a bit and discovered that 13 minutes is just perfect!)

Remove from the oven and refrigerate.  Serve chilled and topped with whipped cream.  If I am really in a cooking mood, I will make fresh whipped cream.  To be honest though, most of the time I simply use canned from the grocery store. 

Yummy!!! 

I am linking to :
Wow Us Wednesdays @ http://www.savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Oh this is one of my favorites too. I will have to give your recipe a whirl. I'm into easy too. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make this pie years ago. Thanks for reminding me of this simple recipe that makes a perfect summer dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to trying your recipe. It's hard to believe it's so simple, and looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely making this! My daughter adores key lime pie and I have never tried to make it before!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa