Monday, May 30, 2011

Simple Summer Dessert


First of all Happy Memorial Day!  Thanks to all who have served or who are currently serving in our military.  What a blessing our freedom is and we are forever indebted to those who serve each day in order to protect our country. 

We spent the day at home playing in the pool and cooking out.  I love the tradition of cooking something on the grill for Memorial Day!  Today we grilled boneless pork chops, corn on the cob, and fresh asparagus.  I served the grilled asparagus with a yummy Balsamic Browned Butter.  Oh my goodness, can you say delicious??  We also had baked potatoes with all the yummy fattening toppings! 

I tried a new dessert that I thought I would share today.  I had something similar at a friend's house once, but had never made it myself.  Last night I told my dad that I was going to make homemade strawberry shortcakes for dessert today, and he suggested that I make the "delicious strawberry thing that Anita (my sister) makes".  LOL  Well, I called my sister right up and asked for the recipe.  If Daddy suggests something, I figure I have to give it a shot! 

Simple but Scrumptious Strawberry Delight 
(She didn't actually give me a name, but I thought this sounded about right!)

2 quarts strawberries - sliced and topped with 1/2 cup sugar - Do this an hour or so before making the dessert.
1 Angel Food cake
1 package cream cheese (8 oz.)
12 ounces Cool Whip
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Whip together the cream cheese, Cool Whip (I used Lite Cool Whip and it worked fine.), and powdered sugar until fluffy. 

Next, cut or tear the Angel Food cake into small pieces.  Place a layer of Angel Food cake in the bottom of the trifle bowl.  Top it with a layer of strawberries.  Top this with a layer of the cream cheese mixture.  Repeat this process until you reach the top :-)  Mine ended up with three layers.   Garnish the top with extra strawberries if desired.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.   

Updated:  I have just found a Paula Deen version of this recipe on line.... It calls for Eagle Brand Condensed Milk instead of the powdered sugar -  OMG!  It doesn't get any better than the taste of Condensed Milk.  I may have to try this version next! 







 

I think with practice the layers will be more defined (i.e. prettier)
but nonetheless, my family loved it! 
Seth, who is typically picky, ate two helpings!  My husband really enjoyed
it because it was not too heavy.
I guess that means this recipe is a keeper! 

I am linking to the following:

Whassup Wednesdays at www.elements-interiors.net





3 comments:

  1. That looks really yummy!!! What an easy summer dessert...I'm gonna have to try it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really into strawberries right now since they are in season, and this looks like a delicious new recipe!!
    I'm your newest follower and I'm looking forward to getting visiting your cute blog again soon! :)

    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My !!! That looks amazing. Think I'm going to make that this weekend! Going to go over and click follow ! Jules ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Buttercup Bliss! Your messages mean so much to me! Lisa